The TEMPLE OF FINE ARTS
It was in 1981 that His Holiness Swami Shantanand Saraswati, lit a lamp to symbolize the beginning of something very beautiful for the Arts, especially music and dance. The aim was to help Malaysian youth rediscover the cultural, artistic and spiritual wealth of their forefathers and to make it relevant for themselves and for future generations to come. Swamiji believed that music and dance were essential to the holistic development of the child. Swamiji envisioned that The Temple of Fine Arts would be the place where a young child could learn music and dance from teachers who understood the true source of creativity and inspiration.
Perbadanan Kesenian Malaysia is a registered not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the advancement of arts and culture in Malaysia. The institution is dedicated to the promotion of all form of the Arts, whether Dance, Music, Performing Arts, Visual Arts or Culinary Arts. Perbadanan Kesenian Malaysia was founded by His Holiness Swami Shantanand Saraswati in 1981 with a simple motto – art, just for the love of it .
Today, 35 years on, Perbadanan Kesenian Malaysia believes that it has stood true to its motto by enriching the lives of many Malaysians, young and old, through the arts, just for the love of it. Perbadanan Kesenian Malaysia :
(1) Conducts dance, music and drama classes at affordable rates and provides partial / full scholarships to those in need of financial support;Today, Perbadanan Kesenian Malaysia runs over 300classes for 22 disciplines comprising traditional andcontemporary styles. The classes are attended by approximately 1400 registered students, of whom over 150 students are on scholarship.
(2) Collaborates with local and international schools and renowned artistes. Perbadanan Kesenian Malaysia believes that collaboration with local and international artistes is as important with teaching the arts so as to inspire the creativity of the young talent. To this end, Perbadanan Kesenian Malaysia regularly hosts performances at the its very own state-of-the-art auditorium at the Sanctuary of Arts, the Shantanand Auditorium.
Provides a regular platform for budding artistes to showcase their work At Perbadanan Kesenian Malaysia , we believe that that it is withthe opportunity to perform that a budding artiste will be able gain experience and improve their skills. Perbadanan Kesenian Malaysia therefore regularly provides students the opportunity to perform on stage in a safeenvironment with a view to nurture their confidence as they develop their skills.
Perbadanan Kesenian Malaysia has successfully organised performance tours of its Dance, Music and Dance Drama productions to various parts of India, Australia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Japan, US and UK We have also participated in local and international arts festivals and events:
- Rainforest Festival Sarawak
- Kuala Lumpur Arts Festival,
- Kuala Lumpur Sound and Light Feat
- Arts Festival of Chennai
- Edinburgh Arts Festival
- Delhi International Arts Fest,
- South by Southwest Festival (Austin, Texas)
- National Arts Fest South Africa
- Fethiye Arts Festival, Turkey
- Hakodate Arts Fest, Japan
- Swan Festival of Lights Australia
(3) Advocates versatility in the expression of the Art Students of Perbadanan Kesenian Malaysia are encouraged to pursue more than one art form to express themselves , discover their talents as well as obtain a rounded appreciation of the arts.
(4) Presents annual flagship productions as a love offering to the art loving public purely on a pay-as-you-wish basis at the annual Shantanand Festival of Arts. Perbadanan Kesenian Malaysia is well reputed in the Malaysian arts scene for its annual flagship productions. These productions are ourway of thanking the Malaysian public for their support and wellwishes in our pursuit to develop the Arts in Malaysia. To-date, Perbadanan Kesenian Malaysia has stage more than 20 major music, dance and dance drama productions. These productions have featured diverse themes from popular Malay and Chinese folk legends like, The Legend of Mahsuri, Butterfly Lovers to epic tales like Ramayana and English themes like Jonathan Livingston Seagull and reworks of Shakespearean themes, such as a Midsummer Night’s Dream and the Taming of the Shrew.
It is our believe that music, art and dance have their origins in the Divine; and these divine forms of expression are taught for the love of it. The range of dance , music and other art forms taught is wide-ranging, forming a colourful tapestry of movements for the eager student.